Friday, January 16, 2009

Opening of Eyes

My clothes smell. Not just normal, "uhh ok put some cologne on it" or spray it with some frabreeze but like smell of sweat and dirt… So I have no other choice but to wash them. Where’s the washer and dryer here? Where can I deposit my $1.25 and leave for 38 minutes only to return and put in another $1.25 for it to do the work of drying? I find nothing other than 2 empty tubs, a bag of “OMO” powder detergent and a clothes line outside.
I hear there is a workout gym on campus. That’s awesome because I need to start training for cross country and a good weight lifting session is definitely due. I met a couple of my Ugandan buddies down there and told them they could tell me all the workouts I need to do. Upon entering the room I notice a total of 4 benches, 1 machine, and random weights throughout the room. Not even dumbbells are found. At Messiah we complain when there are more than 1 person to an area, here there’s 5. I look down almost embarrassed of my grumbles at home and observe their footwear. Only 3 people, including myself, have actual running shoes. Out of a room of about 25 men only 3 have good shoes? About 7 have regular school shoes, another 10 have sandals (flip-flops) and the rest have no shoes on. How can even begin to complain about how many miles my shoes have on them?
I know I have only been here for a week to the day but I have already a new sense of humility. I feel like I some sort of responsibility to give back to those who were not as fortunate as me to be born in the United States. In 4 months I will leave this place, hopefully with a new respect, new outlook, and new goals on and for life. “Through no virtues and accomplishments of our own, we have been fortunate enough to be born in the United States under the most comfortable conditions. We, therefore, have a responsibility to others who are less well off."

No comments:

Post a Comment